Friday, March 11, 2016

...About How Busy I Am (Part V)?

V. The Wrap-Up

In addition to the time-vampires outlined earlier in the week, I'm also an avid film fan, I run a weekly Ultimate Frisbee game for my friends when it's warm, and I have some fitness goals I'd like to achieve (which means time spent in the gym). All of this adds up to a regularly cramped and hectic schedule. I'll admit that some of these things may seem more obviously important than others, but I've always thought that personal happiness is the single most important metric of one's life, so I'm going to continue to emphasize the "just for fun" activities as much as I'm able.

My old job is less and less important to me. My new job offers exciting possibilities, but I'm skeptical and worried about it. School is the same as it has ever been; boxes someone else decided that I needed to check off. Fine, whatever, I'll get them checked off. Magic is The Actual Best, and I've neglected that for too long. I think it's time to pick up the wand again, and this time I'm going to try and make a real go of it.

I've got some outstanding commitments to the old job that extend through the summer. I'm considering, as I mentioned, dropping one of the two shifts when the new school year begins. I figure that my daily life then will comprise of school, homework, and miscellaneous items from the To Do list in the morning, going to work in the afternoon, and then coming home and practicing for whatever the next tournament is. Not working at 7:00am every day will offer a few extra hours of practice each night, and I'm hoping this re-dedication will help me find some success. Not for my own benefit, but so that these kids that are somewhat interested in tournament Magic, or are in the midst of their own burnout, will reconsider their priorities somewhat. Tournament Magic has given me innumerable and immeasurable gifts, and I'd like as many awesome people as possible to share in that experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in on the fun! The only thing that we ask is that you please take a moment and check your grammar, punctuation, etc. It makes it much easier for everyone involved in the discussion. Thanks!